The ROI Institute helps organizations evaluate the effectiveness of various types of programs. The ROI methodology was developed by Dr. Jack Phillips in the 1970s, further refined in the 1980s and implemented on a global scale since the 1990s. ROI is a key measurement tool used in over 40 countries. The founders and co-owners, Dr. Jack J. Phillips and Dr. Patti P. Phillips, are leading experts in the field of ROI.
The ROI methodology has already been implemented in over 5,000 organizations worldwide and is the most commonly used method for assessing effectiveness. With its comprehensive approach, it allows for evaluating various programs and improving processes.
- Human Resource Management
- Knowledge Management/Transfer
- Change Management/Organizational Culture
- Talent Management/Succession
- Information Technology (IT) Technologies / Processes
- Technology/IT Processes
- Organizational Development/Consulting
- Project Management
- Quality Management/Quality/Six Sigma/Lean Manufacturing
- Communication/Public Relations
Authors of the methodology
Dr. Jack Phillips
Dr. Jack Phillips is the author of the ROI methodology and is a globally renowned expert in the field of evaluation. He provides consulting services to major corporations worldwide. Dr. Phillips is the author and editor of over fifty books and conducts workshops, training sessions, and presentations at conferences around the world.
Dr. Patti Phillips
Dr. Patti Phillips is the President and co-founder of ROI Institute Inc. She supports organizations in implementing ROI methodology in 35 countries and teaches ROI methodology through the certification process. She also works as a facilitator and conducts training workshops on program evaluation related to human resource management.
01 ROI certification
After familiarizing themselves with the ROI methodology, participants will highly evaluate the certification process based on:
- Practical application of the certification methodology
- The significance of the certification methodology in their current work as a path to success
- Amount of new information
- Plans for utilizing the certification methodology
The goals related to acquiring knowledge and skills.
After completing the workshops, participants will be able to:
- Identify individuals responsible for implementing ROI
- Identify and describe the main stages in the ROI methodology
- Define and describe the 12 main principles
- Develop a detailed evaluation plan
- Describe at least six methods for isolating program effects
- Describe at least eight methods for converting data into financial values
- Identify and analyse the value of intangible benefits
- Calculate cost-to-benefit ratio and return on investment
- Communicate ROI data to decision-makers
- Implement the ROI methodology within their organization
The goals related to transferring knowledge and skills to the workplace.
Upon returning to the working environment, participants will be able to:
- Build a credible business analysis for ROI in the organization
- Develop a detailed evaluation plan for individual programs
- Revise/update internal assessment policies
- Select appropriate data collection methods
- Utilize at least three methods for isolating program effects
- Utilize at least five methods for converting data into financial values
- Calculate the return on investment for selected programs
- Present assessment data in an attractive and persuasive manner
- Teach the ROI methodology within the organization
The goals related to influencing business outcomes.
After implementing the ROI methodology, the following outcomes will occur:
- Improved effectiveness of projects and development programs
- Expanded implementation of effective programs
- Restructuring or discontinuation of ineffective programs
- Building productive relationships with the management team
- Enhancing the image of HR as a strategic decision-making partner
Return on Investment (ROI)
The goals related to return on investment.
When comparing the financial benefits to the costs of implementing ROI, participants will achieve a minimum of 25% return on investment.
02 Stages of the certification process
Preparation of Participants for the Workshop through Pre-assigned Task
In this stage, participants are prepared for the workshop by completing a pre-assigned task. They are asked to read basic information about ROI and identify a specific project they intend to investigate.
Five-day ROI workshop.
The workshop is a practical training that focuses on case studies and specific projects. During the workshop, participants engage in various activities, including:
- Presentation and analysis of a case study conducted by the ROI Institute
- Planning their own ROI projects
- Developing action plans for implementing ROI in their organizations
Implementation of the ROI Project within 3-6 Months from the completion of the Workshop
Submission of a Project Summary Report to the ROI Institute
Attainment of the Certified ROI Professional Title
Participants receive extensive training materials in English and Polish, as well as books on the ROI methodology.
03 Workshop - ROI
Upon completion of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Prepare a business analysis for ROI
- Develop program objectives at all levels
- Explain how ROI works
- Identify the 12 principles of conducting an ROI project
- Describe the 10 steps in the ROI methodology
- Plan the implementation steps for ROI
Within two weeks after the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Facilitate an ROI meeting for decision-makers
- Develop level 3 and 4 objectives for specific training programs
- What is ROI?
- Understanding the value of training investment
- The “new” definition of value
- ROI methodology
- Calculating ROI
- The 5 elements of an evaluation system
- 12 key principles of ROI
- Planning ROI
- Criteria for selecting training programs to evaluate at level 4 or 5
- Setting training objectives at each evaluation stage
- The impact chain
- The V-model: linking business needs analysis to evaluation
- Data collection during and after the program
- Choosing appropriate data collection methods
- Factors influencing data collection
- Analysing the ROI plan
- Isolating the Effects of Training
- Methods for isolating training effects
- Using control groups
- Trend analysis
- Reliability of indicators
- Converting Program Effects to Monetary Values
- Data conversion methods
- Evaluating the reliability of conversion methods
- Classification and Calculation of Program Costs
- Importance of total costs
- Cost categories
- Identifying and monitoring costs associated with the program
- Implementing ROI
- Interpreting the ROI indicator
- Reporting results
- Identifying and removing barriers to ROI implementation
- ROI forecasting
We would like to invite you to collaborate with us on assessing the effectiveness of projects and processes conducted within your organization.
What are the consultations about?
This assessment process begins with planning how information will be collected, analysed, and reported. The next stage involves selecting and developing tools, analysing data, isolating the impact of the program on the outcomes, converting data into financial values, and calculating the return on investment. Calculating the return on investment compares the net benefits of the program with the costs of the program. The assessment concludes with a preparation of a comprehensive report that includes the following data categories:
- Participants’ reaction to the project
- Learning processes necessary for the successful completion of the project
- Participants’ actions influencing the project outcomes
- Project’s impact on business indicators
- Financial return on investment and intangible values associated with the project
The report also includes conclusions, recommendations, as well as barriers and factors hindering project implementation. An independent assessment can be a valuable tool within your organization, raising awareness of the benefits derived from the process. It is an ideal way to confirm the success of the program, gain knowledge about the program, and identify areas for improvement to achieve even better results.
Feel free to contact us for further information.